Current version

v1.10.4 (stable)


Main page
Archived news
Plugin SDK
Knowledge base
Contact info
Other projects


Blog Archive

VirtualDub 1.10.2 released

Version 1.10.2 is now up on SourceForge, and adds a couple of features while fixing a number of regressions. One of the new features is that you can now relocate the program-relative files, like the job list and the crash dump location, to the user profile. Part of the reason I hadn't done this previously is that I've actually never released a version of VirtualDub that installed into Program Files -- it's always been a portable .zip release. Problem is, other people packaged it into installers that did a system-level installation instead of a user-local installation, or worse, users themselves copied it into Program Files. VirtualDub now supports operating in both modes and there are both UI and registry-level ways to switch to the user profile.

There are also a number of fixes in this release for filter issues that were introduced in 1.10.1. This was due to a big push I made in that version to hoist all internal filters up to current specs. Some of the filters in VirtualDub date back up to ten years, and you could tell by the source code in previous versions which filters were older because they were written procedurally, relied on assembly language routines with no C fallback, or just had generally nasty UI dialog code. I ended up rewriting a number of these filters either to enable them on x64 or to allow them to run on the latest filter API (unlike external filters, all internal filters are always on the latest API version, which caused problems). I unfortunately missed a few conversion problems in 1.10.1 which caused a few of the filters to break; these should now be fixed in 1.10.2.

A note on building the program: it can be a bit tricky to build VirtualDub due to the build configuration you need, and because there are some old docs on this website that I need to clean up (there's never enough time). Part of the problem is that I still use Visual Studio 2005 and a fairly old set of SDKs to build, because there are many backwards compatibility problems introduced by using newer compilers or SDKs. Long story short, the most likely build configuration change that people will try is to use VS2010, and if you try that, you will have more success with 1.10.x than with 1.9.x. The reason is that there are a ton of bugs in the VS8/9 project converter in VS2010 and the 1.10.x branch contains some mitigations for those problems.

Change log after the jump.

Build 34807 (1.10.2, experimental): [June 3, 2012]
   [features added]
   * Added option and /[no]useprofile switch to store configuration files
     under the user profile.
   * Added option for fully buffered write I/O.
   * PluginAPI: The preferred fccHandler supplied by input plugins is now also
     passed through to output files.
   * Decoders: Relaxed size restrictions on MJPEG decoder since a more
     flexible conversion blitter is now being used.
   [bugs fixed]
   * The priority of the ASF pseudo-handler has been reduced to allow plugins
     to handle the format.
   * Fixed .exe manifest embedding error.
   * "Export raw video" command now saves properly in job scripts.
   * Fixed inversion when reading TARGA images (regression from 1.10.1).
   * Fixed bug that caused occasional truncated audio when writing segmented
   * ExtEnc: Fixed omitted parameters and occasional extra commas when
     exporting profiles.
   * Filters: Fixed artifacts in 2:1 filters in 64-bit build.
   * Filters: Fixed logic errors in HSV adjust and emboss filters.
   * Filters: Lowered GPU priority in D3D9Ex acceleration mode to improve
     system responsiveness.
   * Filters: Restored missing perspective filter.
   * Filters: Fixed chroma smoother filter.
   * HexViewer: Fixed incorrect text label for fccHandler stream field.
   * Capture: Added timeout check for screen capture driver to avoid locking
     up program totally when capture load is too high.


This blog was originally open for comments when this entry was first posted, but was later closed and then removed due to spam and after a migration away from the original blog software. Unfortunately, it would have been a lot of work to reformat the comments to republish them. The author thanks everyone who posted comments and added to the discussion.